The Art of Negotiation
The Art of Negotiation – Certificate
University of California, Irvine – The Art of Negotiation
About this course
The art of negotiation is applied daily in the lives of employees at all levels and in any position. Participants explore how current approaches to negotiation strategy and tactics are used, what negotiation entails, the types of negotiation relationships that exist, from hard negotiation to win-win to full and personal partnership. The course explores the personal and behavioral characteristics of an effective negotiator. Participants discuss how empowerment, power, and authority affect the negotiation process and outcome. Topics include how important it is to plan and prepare for a negotiation session.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
1. Know the nature of the negotiation and how it differs from a sale.
2. Become familiar with the basic principles of negotiation and the obstacles to effective negotiation.
3. Explain the role of power and how to deal with it in negotiations.
4. Explain the role of power in negotiations and how to address power inequalities.
5. Explain the positive and negative impact of empowerment.
6. Explore the different “positions” or styles of negotiation that negotiators can adopt.
7. Demonstrate the factors that influence the style of negotiation you use.
8. Describe the personal and behavioral characteristics of an effective negotiator.
9. Show your understanding of emotional intelligence and its impact on the effectiveness of a negotiator.
10. Assess your values and personal style and how they affect the negotiation process.
11. Learn about the critical importance of planning and preparation in the negotiation process.
Understand how negotiation differs from selling
Identify common negotiation styles
Describe the personal and behavioral characteristics of an effective negotiator
Assess your personal style and how it affects the negotiation process
University of California, Irvine
Since 1965, the University of California at Irvine has combined the strengths of a major research university with the generosity of an unrivaled Southern California location. UCI’s unwavering commitment to rigorous academic excellence, cutting-edge research, leadership development, and personalities make the campus a driving force for innovation and discovery that serves our local, national, and global communities in many ways.