Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills
Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills –Certificate
Ross School of Business, University of Michigan – Successful Negotiation
About this course
We all negotiate daily. On a personal level, we also negotiate with friends, family, owners, car dealers, and employers. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without lucrative contracts. In a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement.
I hope you join the hundreds of thousands of students who have made Successful Negotiations one of the most popular and highest rated MOOCs in the world. During the course, you will learn and practice four steps to successful negotiations:
- (1) Preparation: plan your trading strategy
- (2) Negotiate: use key tactics for success
- (3) Close: create a contract
- (4) Execution and evaluation: end game
To successfully complete this course and improve your negotiation skills, you must do the following:
- (1) Watch short videos (5-20 minutes). The videos are interactive and include questions to test your understanding of strategy and negotiation skills. You can speed up or slow down the video based on your preferred listening pace. Depending on your schedule, you can watch videos for several weeks or you can watch them voraciously. A student who saw the compulsive course concluded that “this is as good as breaking bad.” Another student compared the course to House of Cards. Both shows contain interesting examples of difficult negotiations!
- (2) Test your negotiating skills by completing the negotiations in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiating partner will share with you her opinion on your negotiation skills. To help you negotiate, I have developed several free course-related negotiation planning tools. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/
- (3) Pass the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is passing, which means you can take it as many times as you like until you have mastered the material.
You have the option of obtaining a certificate of completion of the course. The certificate provides official recognition for your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo.
University of Michigan
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.