Fundamentals of Management
Fundamentals of Management– Certificate
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, IRVINE – Fundamentals of Management
Explain the difference between managers and leaders
Describe the five functions of management
Use the SMART goal-setting technique
Understand the power of building a network
About this course
Are you going to work? Are you a beginning professional? New to your role in the organization? All potential new hires benefit from an understanding of management principles, roles and responsibilities, regardless of position. Now you can gain a deep understanding of basic management concepts and theories by examining the operational role of the manager in all types of organizations. Learn about a manager’s responsibility to plan, organize, direct, staff, and supervise the workplace. It’s never too early to plan your career by learning how the best managers succeed!
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
1. Describe the difference between managers and leaders.
2. Study the purpose of the manager’s job.
3. What are the skills necessary for the success of a new manager?
4. Describe the five management functions.
5. Explain the management philosophy of the new management model.
6. Describe the planning hierarchy.
7. Use the SMART goal setting technique.
8. Discuss the concept of leadership evolution.
9. Explain how customer satisfaction relates to control.
10. Discuss the possibilities of building a network.
University of California, Irvine
Since 1965, the University of California, Irvine has combined the strengths of a major research university with the bounty of an incomparable Southern California location. UCI’s unyielding commitment to rigorous academics, cutting-edge research, and leadership and character development makes the campus a driving force for innovation and discovery that serves our local, national and global communities in many ways.